Re: Update to the serial driver

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:13:16 -0400

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:46:55 -0700
From: Richard Henderson <rth@dot.cygnus.com>

On Thu, Apr 16, 1998 at 05:12:33PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> Please apply a search and replace cannonicalize -> canonicalise. There
> are few things more annoying than misspelt functions.

Except of course the correct verb form is "canonize". Even worse
than incorrect spelling is incorrect conjugation.

No, actually. "canonize" is a verb meaning to declare something
(especially in an ecclesiastical sense) to be canonical. What we want
here is something which takes a name and *translate* to its canonical
form. The vernacular is that "canonicalize" has that meaning.

- Ted