Re: Lots of SCSI-disks, how?!

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 08:03:01 +0200 (MET DST)

Richard Gooch wrote:

> > Don't you? I didn't think that devfs removed the need for more space
> > in device numbers internally - I simply thought it made the user
> > interface far easier.
>
> When you call <devfs_register>, you pass an arbitrary pointer. When
> your driver f_op->open() method is called, filp->private_data is
> initialised with this arbitrary pointer. That effectively gives you a
> 32 bit minor number on 32 bit systems. You don't need to worry about
> the major number, because that is implicit in the f_op table you
> passed to <devfs_register>.

So, find is given the -xdev option. It stats all the files, and checks
to see wether the files are still on the same mountpoint as the
directories on the commandline.

So, tar is packing an archive, and it wants to detect hardlinks to
files that already are in the archive. To do this, it makes a list of
<devno, inum, filename> triplets for the files that it's already put
into the archive.

Richard, please explain to me why this is going to work on a libc5
based system?

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |