Antwort: SCSI networking?

CT@braehler.com
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:34:33 +0200

Mikael Klasson wrote:
> A friend of mine got a somewhat bizarre idea the other day:
> Would it be at all possible to somehow connect two computers via a scsi
> cable? Basically, I'd like to treat the other computer as if we were
> connected via a regular network. Are we loonies or is there a chance
> that something like this might actually be doable? Imagine a 40MB/s
> connection for the price of some cheap uw scsi gear... I realize that
> the cable length in uw scsi can't be very long but that's not a problem
> for me right now.
> Insanely laughing flames expected. =)
No laughts from me. Been there, done that, got no t-shirt (there was
none). Back in the ol' days, we connected 8 boxes via SCSI for inter-
process communication (thus building some sort of cluster), but on a
different (proprietary) OS.
"All" you have to do is: Write an ethernet-like-device for a hostadapter
and keep the connected adapters at different host-IDs, of course. Keep
in mind that "broadcast" should be "multicast to identified network-
partners" (else a connected disk may get a broadcasted ethernet-packed
the wrong way, as in: "Format a harddisk with a broadcasted ping").
We had none of these problems, as we had the disks on a seperate adapter,
and all adapters on the one bus were network partners. But this was a
closed-cabin machine. Not everyone will be able to afford a second 7880
for networking :)

Yours, Christian Treczoks

PS: A 100mbit Ethernet-card is almost as fast as SCSI...