Re: suser() -> capable() for linux/drivers

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:38:56 +0200

On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 01:08:52PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Alexander Kjeldaas wrote:
>
> > This patch changes suser() to capable() in linux/drivers
> >
> [SNIPPED]
> I hope that this won't break everything so nothing will work until
> everybody completely reconfigures everything to use "capable" et-all.
>
> even init won't even be able to mount file-systems until it's modified.
> I won't be able to use /bin/bash in place of init.
>
> Hopefully, this has been well though out. I would not like to have
> to continue to use the present kernel forever.

Try it. It changes nothing. The only effect is that if you look into
/proc/self/status you'll see (as root):

[...]
CapInh: fffffeff
CapPrm: fffffeff
CapEff: fffffeff

(the 'e' indicates that root doesn't have the CAP_SETPCAP capability).

And as a normal user:

[...]
CapInh: fffffeff
CapPrm: 00000000
CapEff: 00000000

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/