2.1.98 also corrosive

Bill Metzenthen (billm@melbpc.org.au)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 22:09:52 +1000 (EST)

The title of this message is a reference to a previous thread which I
started with the Subject "My memory is rusty".

Linus wrote (in "Linux-2.1.98.."):
> - memory management especially on small-memory machines. I think I made a
> good change to the allocation logic, and I'm hoping it will fix the bad
> bahevaiour on those wimpy machines that all you losers out there are
> using that have less than half a Gig of RAM. It certainly still works
> fine on my machine, and I'm certainly still too lazy to test it out on
> anything smaller.

Makes me feel ashamed to admit that I only have 8 Mbyte... it seems
like only yesterday that it was a big advance when I upgraded from 4
Mbyte and a 386... I promise to upgrade RSN, perhaps if I get a job...

Anyway, 2.1.98 doesn't seem to be significantly better for me than
earlier 2.1.xx kernels. The results from the test script which I
posted to this list on 21 Apr 1998 when run on 2.1.98 are:

$ ./test-compile.sh ~sys
Test gcc compile times.
Linux version 2.1.98 (root@lorentz) (gcc version 2.8.1) #47 Sat Apr 25 19:12:55 EST 1998
gcc takes 42.88 seconds before 'find'
find /home/sys -print | wc --> find took 24.53 seconds
15541 15541 630856
gcc takes 283.64 seconds after 'find'
find /home/sys -print | wc --> find took 23.97 seconds
15541 15541 630856
gcc takes 295.16 seconds after 120 second wait

Nobody else seems to have tried the test script (at least they haven't
told me about it) so I can't be sure that other memory-challenged
linuxers are seeing similar effects.

--Bill