Re: lp.c in 2.0.x

Wolfgang Walter (wolfgang.walter@stusta.mhn.de)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 21:25:56 +0200

On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 05:03:38PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Wolfgang Walter wrote:
>
> >> It force lp to don' t care about the interrupt so it' s the same of
> >> working in polling, take a look at /proc/interrupt and you will see.
> >
> >Not really, as I use tunelp to switch interrupt on. And /proc/interrupts
> >show that the interrupt is installed and works.
>
> Excuse me, I should look _all_ your patch ;-).
>
> Basically your patch request the printer irq a lot before starting to
> print. It doesn' t change how the lp handle the interrupt. This make no
> sense to me. Also if this is true it means that in the parport code we

Right. My intention was for the that change was just to be able to better
observe the interrupt.

Now, I did some deeper testing and I'm shure that it is not the code change
which fixed the problem. Instead, by reactivating tunelp in my boot-up scripts I
set LP_CHAR to 10, too. This seems to do the real magic. Which remains funny
is that if I reset it later to 1000, all just works fine. If it is 1000 for
the first printing, though, I get these problems. Maybe its the autodetection
of the printer for EPP, ECP or normal mode.

> can' t request_irq/free_irq during the printing and so a lot of parport
> code should be rewritten to handle that. I think also my fix can' t help
> you. It would be nice if you could try the plain 2.1.98 lp and feedback.

Will try it.

> Andrea[s] Arcangeli

Thanks,

Wolfgang Walter