Re: 2.0.34 (Re: IP Port Forwarding)

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 19:56:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Paul Miller wrote:
> hmm... So what is next? 2.2.x? What is the point for changing the patch
> level? Is 2.2.x planning to use new development tools -- egcs for
> example? Or are the 2.1.x features going to be added to 2.2.x?
>
> And what about 2.1.x, they're up to .98 I think, will 2.1.x change to
> 2.3.x or continue?
>
> -Paul

The plan (as I know it -- I'm hardly a Linux uberhacker, but I've been
around for long enough to know what's going on, more or less) is to get
2.1.x to where it runs OK for everybody, and then to rename it to 2.2.0.
At that point, people will start hacking on it, and shortly Linus will
release a patch from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0 and we can start the development
kernel game all over again.

-=- James Mastros

--
True mastery is knowing enough to bullshit the rest.
	-=- Me