Re: enable_ioapic_irq broken in arch/i386/kernel/irq.c

Claus-Justus Heine (claus@momo.math.rwth-aachen.de)
26 Apr 1998 05:05:35 +0200

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> I've made some other changes in my tree already, I always found the
> repeating and counting to be of dubious value - if we have nested
> interrupts there is no point in trying to count them up. 2.1.98 makes one
> counter be a simple flag, and I think the other counters should be simple
> flags too.

Actually, I was already wondering why one should send the same irq
n-times to the same handler ...

> Would some io-apic people try out this patch to irq.c (patch against
> 2.1.98)? It simplifies the irq handling quite a bit, I'd like to hear
> whether it is stable for you..

Will check tomorrow, just too tired. For ftape it will most probably
work fine. Only problem could be for dunno what driver/hardware
combination that disable_irq() really discards interrupts. Which can
of course be avoided by using a spin-lock scheme rather than trying to
disable interrupts. Only that disabling an interrupt hits performance
less badly than a spin-lock with the lock held for a long time.

Claus