Re: faster strcpy()

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:48:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> By the way, using FPU for the strcpy might be even faster.
> from what I heard from Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> with a couple
> really weird tricks this can be done very fast. If I remember
> correctly, he was talking to the glibc people already about it.

Which of course can't be used at all on SMP boxes; and I even have doubts
about its performance on a UP box when you've got more than one task
going. strcpy() is not an uncommon routine, if all the processes on a box
were using the FPU to do strcpy() it probably won't be a pretty thing --
every context switch would require FPU switching as well.

Dean