Re: frame errors?

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 19:13:27 +1000

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998 16:32:01 +1000 (EST),
David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au> wrote:
>Can someone please enlighten me to what frame errors are? :) I managed to
>get rid of the tcp checksum errors by changing ISPs..

PPP packets have a frame code front and back to indicate start and end
of a packet, similar to Ethernet header/trailer. A framing error
simply indicates that the frame bytes were corrupt, see RFC 1331. Lots
of possible causes, line noise, hardware, dropped bytes in OS, mismatch
in compression protocols, modem doing XON/XOFF when it should be
CTS/RTS or vice versa, mismatch in PPP escape characters etc.