Re: 2.1.98 also corrosive

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:47:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Bill Metzenthen wrote:

> Linus wrote (in "Linux-2.1.98.."):
> > - memory management especially on small-memory machines. I think I made a
> > good change to the allocation logic, and I'm hoping it will fix the bad
> > bahevaiour on those wimpy machines that all you losers out there are
> > using that have less than half a Gig of RAM. It certainly still works
> > fine on my machine, and I'm certainly still too lazy to test it out on
> > anything smaller.
>
> Makes me feel ashamed to admit that I only have 8 Mbyte... it seems
> like only yesterday that it was a big advance when I upgraded from 4
> Mbyte and a 386... I promise to upgrade RSN, perhaps if I get a job...

No, Linux is supposed to run everywhere, so we'll do all we
can to support your machine too...
I know I will, and I'll try to push/force every possible
patch into the mainstream kernel if it's needed to support
small-mem machines and it doesn't hurt large boxes.

Rik.