Re: pnp

Greg Zornetzer (gaz@andrew.cmu.edu)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 02:00:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Jeff O wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have 2.1.98 w/pnp enabled. I have a pnp modem (lt winmodem in fact),
> but I cannot find a pnp directory under /proc or /proc/devices! Nor can
> I access the modem, which works swimmingly in Windows! Is there a bug in
> 2.1.98's soundmodem and/or pnp drivers I don't know about? There
> probably is, for I know nearly nothing! <g>
>
> Please help if you can! I got the new kernel just so I could use my
> modem!!

Hmmm, maybe this should be in the Serial FAQ or something.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, although I believe this
has come up before.
Winmodems have offloaded some of the important modem logic and controlling
circuitry into software to save money. They don't interface using the
normal DOS com ports. This does two things: makes the modem perform like
crap if the CPU is loaded down.
second, because these modems require proprietary software drivers, they
will not work with linux. (Unless you plan to disassemble the win95
drivers and write a linux driver)

There's a reason that Winmodems are cheaper than all of the properly
designed modems - and you pay the price when you try to use the modem
under any environment other than windows.

Sorry that I can't be the bearer of good news.

Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz