Re: Variable SymLinks: An appraisal...

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:03:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> First, my $0.02 regarding the idea, and what I would like to see, and
> I will welcome any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of these comments, and
> especially from Linus...
>
> 1. The permissions applicable to a SymLink are those applicable to
> the file or directory it points to, as modified by any adverse
> permissions in the path to that directory, so if the user in
> question does not have access to the file or directory by any
> other means, they also do not have access to it through any
> SymLinks, variable or otherwise - or am I missing something?

[snip]
Unfortunately there are a an insanely large array of suid root programs,
the general idea being to fool them into thinking the file being pointed
to is the file they want.

I don't know how possible it is with this setup.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
irc admin centurion.starchat.net

gmack@imag.net innerfire@starchat.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.