Re: Are file_operations.{open,release} serialized?

Peter Moulder (pjm@bofh.asn.au)
30 Apr 1998 10:33:38 +1000

Mike Kilburn <mike@conexio.co.za> writes:

> > that card. I want to ask you if it is safe to increment this
> > counter in the device's file_operations.open() routine and to decrement
> > in the file_operations.release() routine without any locking
>
> I use atomic_inc and atomic_dec for this sort of thing. Dont forget about
> SMP systems.

sys_open() calls lock_kernel() around file_operations.open(). I'm
told that all of the filesystem operations are (though I think this
person's expertise lies in squid rather than kernel hacking).

pjm.