Re: [SMP patch] io-apic-patch-2.1.99-pre3-B

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 21:23:21 -0600

On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 07:04:10PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Whether we want to nest the explicit disable/enable or not is a secondary
> issue. The nesting makes sense for irq sharing, but I have to admit that

Why? If you want to share irqs, doesn't it make more sense to offer
multiple soft irqs from the single hard one instead of a general
mechanism that encourages sloppy design?
I can't think of a single case where it makes sense to nest enables and
would be interested in seeing one.