Re: Varlinks - how not to break semantics

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:40:29 +0400 (MSD)

30-Apr-98 13:58 you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > a) Link is processed as varlink if and only if it beggins with ///.
> > > [normally, you have no reason to prepend ///, so it should be safe]
> > >

> > Happens easily if you append paths, and violates POSIX (the only
> > permitted escapes from the namespace are // and /../).
>
> Ook, so go for //, or go for /proc/varlink. /proc/varlink is pretty
> long to type, but we already have more strange things in /proc
> filesystem :-).

Looks like /proc/varlink prefix is preferrable. This way you'll not break
anything for already existing links (links to now not existing /proc/varlink
will be affected but this could break only program specially written to be
broken with varlinks :-) Of course /proc/varlink is long to type, but this is
better than other suggestions...