Re: 2.1/2.2: a.out question

Samuli Kaski (samkaski@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:59:25 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

..

> For reference, my system is based on an Intel P166 processor with 96M
> of RAM and (currently) 4.5G of HD space, to be upped to 10.9G shortly
> (I bought the drive today, but have yet to fit it) running RedHat 5.0
> and I've also verified that I currently don't have any a.out binaries
> on my system using the following command as root:
>
> Q> for Z in `find / -name '*'` ; do file $Z ; done \
> Q> | grep executable | grep -v ELF | grep -v script | less
>
> On my system, that produced a blank display...

I would hope blank = empty as contain is concerned - blank is usually
associated with negative linux performance...

But anyway.. this started out nicely.. I have received a couple of
personal e-mails and some that were also sent to the list.

What I would really like would be for the men in charge (L, A, T) to
comment is it just for maintaining > 2.0 > 1.3 > 1.2 compatibility why
we should have a.out in our kernels.

Thank you all for your professional/thought out input sofar.

--
Samuli Kaski, samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi
Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki, Finland.