Re: Any software package to get memory reference trace in Linux?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:43:51 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Zhe Wang wrote:

> I am working on a project for virtual memory management. I wonder if there
> is any software package to get the user memory reference trace? (I do not
> have those expensive box to attach on the memory bus :)

Something like this is not there yet...
Also, you should probably subscribe to the linux-mm
mailing list. (majordomo@kvack.org)

If you're interested in some statistics gathering and/or
performance tools, please feel free to go ahead. We
really could use some.

Also, there's still a bug in page-aging. Shared
pages and page/buffer memory is sometimes aged
more than once during one kswapd scan, making
swapout sometimes unfair and scanning more than
needed.
It would be nice to have some solution to this...

In the wishlist there are mentions of true swapping
and the handling of out-of-memory situations. I'll
be working on these this weekend. I'll send you
(and the guys on linux-mm) the preliminary patches...

Rik.