Re: /dev/ttypX permissions not restored.

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Fri, 1 May 1998 20:15:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Lorenzo Campedelli wrote:

>At work, we have noticed that sometimes xxgdb failed opening ttypX due to lack
>of permissions giving something like "/dev/ttypX : Permission denied".
>
>To cut a long story short, what we think to have found is that by telnetting
>(rlogin causes it also) to the machine, and then disconnecting, the pseudo tty
>file permissions aren't correctly restored.

A quick fix:

chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/xxgdb

I don' t know if that could raise security issues. To leave the system
secure make xxgdb running only from your group (0750) (and trust users in
your group of course ;-).

>This happens consistently with Kernels 2.0.3[023] on RH4.2 and RH5.0, but not
>with Kernel 2.0.33 on Slackware, so hardly is a kernel problem.

This is __not__ a kernel problem.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli