Re: what's this error message?

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.noris.de)
1 May 1998 21:54:38 +0200

Jon Lewis <jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net> writes:

> It seems mostly harmless...and I don't worry about it when I see these
> anymore. Occasionally, there really is damage, and e2fsck (1.10) can take
> quite a number of minutes to scan/repair a 3gb fs. Last time it happened,
> there were very long pauses with no disk activity making me worry the
> system might have locked up.

Consider yourself lucky. This basically means that all the metadata e2fsck
needs are already read in, and e2fsck is currently gazing at them, trying
to find some of those nasty errors for you.

If you pull some memory out of the box you probably wouldn't get a quiet
phase there, but your e2fsck run would take twice as long, at least.

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH