Re: Kernel 2.1.99 and kmod and ppa

Greg Zornetzer (gaz@andrew.cmu.edu)
Sat, 2 May 1998 15:08:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Michael Guntsche wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> I noticed following strange problem with kmod and the PPA devices.
> After modularizing alle the scsi components (scsi_mod,sd_mod,ppa) and
> restarting the computer mounting the iomega would only install the
> scsi_mod and the sd_mod module.
hmm - is the ppa the only scsi controller connected to your machine? If
so, I'd suggest removing all of the pre-install options and putting
alias scsi_hostadapter ppa
into your conf.modules. With a fully modularized scsi system, kmod should
load the scsi_mod, which will trigger a load of ppa, then the scsi_disk,
because block_major_8 corresponds to scsi disks.
BTW, modutils-2.1.85 already includes the proper alias of block-major-8

> my conf_modules file that worked with kerneld and the 2.0.xx kernels
>
> <snip>
> block-char-major-8 sd_mod
> install sd_mod insmod -k ppa && insmod -k sd_mod
>
> or
>
> <snip>
> block-char-major-8 ppa
> post-install ppa insmod -k sd_mod
>
> doesnt semm to work with kmod.
> Using my iomega fairly often I decided to put all the scsi stuff in the
> kernel except for the ppa module.
> Here I get another problem. Mounting the zip for the first time works.
> The ppa module gets installed and the zip gets mounted. If I try to
> mount the device a second time - meanwhile I unmounted the device and
> the ppa module was freed - I get a /dev/zip non valid block-device
> error.
> Doing an lsmod shows me that the ppa module wasnt loaded automatically.
> insmod -k ppa still works.
This may be a weirdness or bug in the scsi subsystem that doesn't deal
nicely with modular driver, but not scsi.

> I dont have problems with other module its just the SCSI-ppa combo that
> gives me problems.
Because of the issues with modular scsi calling a request_module() in its
initialization, scsi is a special case that had to be dealt with - that's
what the latest kmod in the kernel does.

Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz