Re: Boot Logo Thoughts (LONG)

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Wed, 13 May 1998 19:48:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> Unfortunatelly it's hard to implement :-( VESA standard does not have
> protected-mode API to switch screen mode :-(( And call to real-mode API is
> really weird thing. Even more: there are a lot of cards with broken VESA
> support :-(

Ok, someone has to say it (and I may as well be the one flamed for it).

You guys are discussing the reimplementation of something that already
exists: KGI. With one difference, of course...your discussion is centered
around a bit of glitz during the boot process, where KGI/GGI tries to
solve a more generic problem. :-)

See:

http://www.ggi-project.org/

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

Linux labyrinth 2.1.101 #2 SMP Sun May 10 22:34:20 GMT 1998 i586 unknown 12:45am up 20 min, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.03