Re: ext2fs corruption

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Thu, 14 May 1998 23:33:17 -0400

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 21:50:03 +0000
> From: Daniel.Egger@t-online.de (Daniel Egger)
>
> Every kernel above 2.1.96 I guess causes severe filesystem
> corruption on my system. When I delete files it seems like ext2 is
> patching a wrong linkpointer to a random address. There it can't
> find the rest of the files sometimes.
>
> How about telling us what your hardware configuration on the machine is,
> and what kind of error messages you are getting from ext2 and e2fsck?
>
> - Ted

I've run into something similar as well. When I did a recursive delete
of the kernel tree, I managed to get a whole bunch of cross-linked files
and files that mutated into directories. The only ext2 errors I found
in the syslogs are:

May 13 00:09:27 citadel kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 03:03):
ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 2066
May 13 00:09:51 citadel kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 03:03):
ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 2291
May 13 00:12:06 citadel kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 03:03):
empty_dir: bad directory (dir #2113) - no `.' or `..'

My setup:
Kernel 2.1.96 UP
AMD K6-233
Tyan Tomcat IV S motherboard
hda: Western Digital Caviar 3.1 GB hd
hdb: Conner 850 MB hd
hdc: Cyberdrive 12x cdrom

root is hda3. I am using the busmaster IDE drivers (Trition chipset).

Fsck generated a whole lot of errors. From cross-linked files to
unreferenced inodes and much of everything in between. I'm lucky that
it didn't completely trash the partition.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

--

Brian Gerst