Re: Why from there?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 13 May 1998 22:03:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> I agree, the version number on the exploded directory would help keep things
> in order. To keep backward compatability I'd suggest also including a
> symbolic link 'linux -> linux-x.x.x' in the tar ball. GNU's tar handles
> this correctly, and so does every other tar I have used. Furthermore GNU's
> tar 1.12 includes an option to overwrite symbolic links so if people are
> told to use it then there shouldn't be the problem of people accidently
> using the old kernel because they didn't update their link. In addition
> this will also help prevent people from accidently overwriting their changes
> when they upgrade their kernel.

If somebody wants to do this, feel free. They can unpack my kernels and
repack them, and do this automatically.

I don't use tar-balls, I don't want to have anything like this. I work in
a "linux" subdirectory that I do a "make backup" on, and that makes the
tar-ball for me. For me, the base-name without any strange version stuff
is most convenient.

Linus