Re: ext2fs corruption

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 14 May 1998 11:50:04 +0200 (MET DST)

George Bonser wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 1998, Colten Edwards wrote:
>
> > same problem and my solution worked for them.. So, check your cables. If
> > the HD is on the outside connecter, move it to the middle connecter, or
> > get a shorter cable that will allow your connections with minimal cable
> > length.
>
> NO! You should always be sure that the last connector is used. You do not
> want a long unterminated stub hanging out into space. Even for an IDE
> drive this causes signals to be reflected back down the cable and can
> cause interference and pick-up of other electrical noise inside the
> computer. A good general rule of thumb is to keep cables as short as
> possible make sure the very end is connected to something.

There is one "but" here: IDE cables aren't terminated by
the drive.

I'm told that the faster IDE specs (PIOx and UDMA) specify that a
terminator be available at the motherboard end.

Having a drive terminate the "middle connector" is just as bad as having
no termination at the end.

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |