Re: pre11b probs...

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Thu, 14 May 1998 16:42:22 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> I've tried to point out to Donald that there is a questionable race in
> his hard_start_xmit() routines.
>
> I have seen the same tx timeouts when I got the 3c59x driver working
> on the Cobalt Qube. The dev->tbusy flag can be cleared by quite a few
> conditions in the interrupt handler, and this makes me feel very
> uneasy about possible corruptions in the hard_start_xmit handler.
> Also registers are spun upon in this piece of code as well, which an
> interrupt handler can cause trouble for.
>
> So in boomerang_start_xmit() I do a save_flags/cli around the whole
> packet sending setup sequence. Ie. the function is now:

Hi,

Ah but lots of the troublesome cards are vortex cards. Will a similar
patch slot nicely into the vortex transmit function? Will it be a big
performance hit?

And to what driver version does this update apply?

Once I'm clear what driver version/patch to try I'll give the 3c59x driver
one last chance before ditching it for a NE2k (yes, really) or a tulip.

Cheers for looking into this Dave,
Chris