Re: Boot Logo Questions....

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 14 May 1998 18:27:06 +0400 (MSD)

PJ> On Thu, 14 May 1998, Khimenko Victor wrote:
PJ> >There are only one problem: there are NO WAY to understood type of monitor
PJ> >attached (Ok there are bunch of ways to do so. They works. Sometimes :-) Not
PJ> >very often, unfortunatelly :-(( That's why RedHat asks YOU while installing
PJ> >about monitor type).
PJ>
PJ> Why be concerned about the monitor. I thought this was going to take a
PJ> minimalist approach. Using one of the lower quality modes should fit the
PJ> bill for all monitors. I wasn't thinking 1280x1024x24bpp here... more
PJ> like 320x200x16 at best. That VAST majority of monitors should be able to
PJ> support that. And the ones that aren't will probably not be hooked up to
PJ> a video card capable of that mode anyways (mono, herc, etc).

Of course mono monitor (as well as any color monitor) could support, say,
376x564x256 just fine. Problem is that messages obviously written to be read!
Just now I am unable use Lynx with my mono monitor without retuning since
default Lynx configuration from RedHat 5.0 use the same colours for normal text
and for links. Such problem is bad enough for Lynx but it's will be even worse
for kernel :-((