Re: GGI ;o) (Was: Re: Boot Logo Thoughts (LONG))

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Sat, 16 May 1998 12:41:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Mike A. Harris writes:

> > > Looks like it :-( I'm surprised we haven't seen GGI start up again.
> >
> > Why? Whats wrong with GGI?????!?!?!!!?!?! ;o)
> >
> > I just downloaded the latest GGI snapshot, and it is cool! ;o)
>
> I have no problem with GGI. My problem is with people who start long
> threads (which degenerate into flamewars) about GGI. The GGI team has
> said they're not ready yet to submit their code to Linus, yet every
> time the GGI thread starts up again people whine about "pretty please,
> let's have GGI in the kernel *NOW*, it's the best thing since sliced
> bread, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera".

Part of the reason for this is that graphics is a subject that
tends to appeal to a much broader audience than, say, SCSI drivers. This
means that more of our supporters will tend to be those that are
interested in Linux but are maybe less technically sophisticated about
kernel development issues.

> Once the GGI team submit their code, serious discussion about the pros
> and cons can begin. Before that leave them in peace to deliver the
> goods. Premature activism on "behalf" of GGI is in fact detrimental,
> as it can entrench opposition to it.

As has happened in the past. We are trying to ensure that this
does not happen again, hence my posting.

> Some of this opposition is due to
> some of the major players in Linux having been unimpressed by an older
> version of GGI, and some is due to the excessive proselytising of the
> GGI cause.

Again, we realize this and are taking steps to repair the
situation. I am going to be trying to put a lid on the flaming in
linux-kernel, and others are working on integrating KGI with the various
fbdev-related projects that have been floating around lately. With luck,
all of this mess may get sorted out to everyone's satisfaction in 2.3.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed