Re: dynamically changing available memory

David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Sat, 16 May 1998 15:56:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > Well, /proc/kcore already reports its actual size...
>
> And it isn't about to change at runtime either. That is the size
> of installed memory. I've yet to see a single person

it's 4K above the installed memory.

> successfully insert or remove a SIMM/DIMM while a machine was
> running. If they did, and it was successful, the linux code will
> update the filesize. ;o)

there are memory cards for pcmcia. i wouldn't be so quick to rule out the
probability of dynamic memory sizing. other technologies allow powered
addition and removal of memory, if it hasn't been done for your platform
yet in somebodies bedroom, it will soon.

it would please me to no end to be able to pull out a failing/failed
memory module and replace it and the kernel continue on it's merry little
way.

-d

--
Please read the linux/Documentation/ files and review the last week of mail
on linux-kernel before posting your problem.