Re: PAS16 sound quality

Sean Connor (sec@frodo.com)
Sat, 16 May 1998 17:21:55 -0600

On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 06:03:54PM -0400, Anthony DeStefano wrote:

I'll add a "me, too" with some additional information.

In my case, the problems only started with 2.1.102

> Since 2.1.100 sound from my PAS16 sound card has sounded scratchy on a
> number of different sound formats and different players. So here's a list
> of what sounds right and what doesn't.
>
> Format Player
> ------------------------------ -----------
> OK:
> Microsoft RIFF, WAVE audio data, 8 bit, mono 11127 Hz sox

A stereo .wav at 44.1kHz played with wavplay 1.0 sounded scratchy.

> Audio CD any
>
> Scratchy:
> Microsoft RIFF, AVI data xanim 2.70.7
> MP3 amp, x11amp, mpg123
MOD mikmod
MID timidity

In addition to poor quality sound, I also get frequent timeouts.

--
  -Sean Connor (sec@frodo.com) (sec@softhome.net)