Re: Bios

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Mon, 18 May 1998 02:59:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 17 May 1998, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> I've got an even broader request: I'd appreciate pointers on bios hacking
> and tools in general. APM suspend-to-disk breaks on my machine and some
> others with Linux, and I'd like to disassemble my BIOS to figure out what
> this code is trying to do that Linux isn't liking. We adhere precisely to
> the official spec, but I have a feeling something's undocumented or
> assumed. Even DOS mode tools or pointers would be great: what's the
> easiest way to extract this code and analyze it?

to dump the system bios, use:

dd if=mem of=/tmp/bios_dump bs=1024 count=64 skip=960

then use eg. 'ndisasm' from nasm, it produces correct 16 bit code too.
(dont know wether objdump has been fixed recently) This should give you a
way to look at the ideas implemented by the BIOS. Dont use the code, thats
copyright protected.

-- mingo