Re: The Linux console is a broken implementation of ISO 2022 (LONG)

Raul Miller (rdm@test.legislate.com)
Mon, 18 May 1998 14:02:50 -0400

H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
> a. Rip out the current Linux scheme and implement ISO 2022
> correctly?

You wouldn't believe how much time I've lost working around this lack
(and not knowing the relevant standard, so not being able to hold my own
in discussions).

As it stands, shift-in and shift-out are amusing but largely worthless.
If it's really possible to specify both halves of the character set
support at the same time, I'd think that for backwards compatibility you
could just build it in at level of abstraction where you specify the
character set.

--
Raul