Re: Version 2.1.92 -> 2.1.101 Ethernet

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 19 May 1998 08:16:35 +0200 (MET DST)

Alan Cox wrote:

> > If I ping a Linux machine with a packet length of the default (64 bytes?),
> > it works okay. As I increase the size up to the normal ~1460 bytes,
> > nothing gets through! The problems start at a packet size of about
> > 400 bytes. Tcpdump on the source machines show packets being transmitted,
> > Tcpdump on the destination machine shows no packets received.
>
> Check your cable quality is really cat5 and your hub is ok. Thats not a Linux
> problem by any way I can figure it since we dont execute any different code
> for long/short frames there.

Depends on the card. Some cards pre-allocate max-sized skb's and copy
the contents over to a smaller sized skb if the packet lenght is below
a threshold.

This would indicate something wrong witht the "leave in large
preallocated skb" path. That's certainly odd.

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |