Re: PAS16 sound quality

Jason T. Collins (dark@ksu.edu)
Tue, 19 May 1998 15:30:57 +0000

Sean Connor wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 06:03:54PM -0400, Anthony DeStefano wrote:
>
> I'll add a "me, too" with some additional information.
>
> In my case, the problems only started with 2.1.102

> In addition to poor quality sound, I also get frequent timeouts.
>
> > I also noticed some .wav files sound fine with sox but pretty bad with
> > xanim but othere play fine with either.
> >
> > So has something changed in the PAS16 or other sound code that would make
> > some apps not play sound correctly?

Well, hate to add to the "me-too" category, but I have a MAD16 card and
while I don't have any quality problems the IRQ/DRQ timeouts are very
frequent at high sampling rates or when under load. P180MMX shouldn't
have much trouble with this, didn't before somewhere in the 2.1.90s. I
tried adjusting some of the
fudge factors in the code for the timeout values, but it doesn't seem to
help. The interrupt just isn't getting serviced fast enough.

Jason T. Collins