Re: blocksize > 4K in ext2 ?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 19 May 1998 14:50:13 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Gabriele Grilli wrote:

> In ext2 it's possible to do 1, 2 and 4 Kbyte blocks simply performing
> mke2fs with -b 1024, -b 2048 or -b 4096.
> I would like to know how modify the kernel such as I can use larger
> blocks.

You don't only need to modify the ext2 filesystem, but the
buffercache and the memory allocation algorithm too...

Currently, the buffercache only handles buffers up to 4k in
size and the memory allocation algorithm doesn't handle
the handing out of larger (>1 page) chunks very well.

btw: Why do you need >4k block size in ext2fs?

Rik.