Re: the way 2.1 shuts down compared to 2.0

Derrik (dpates@kalifornia.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 05:45:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Olaf Titz wrote:

> It turned out that the Sun JDK, which I had installed on the /var
> disk, came with its own copy of libc.so.5.4.something deep inside an
> obscurely nested path and ldconfig happily pointed every program out
> there, including /bin/sh, to use that instead of the copy in /lib.
> This also happened with another library (I think it was libdl). Blech.
> (Fix, of course, was to remove all those redundant libraries.)

Why would you do that anyway? You shouldn't add the JDK's lib/ directory
to your ld.so.conf. The JDK has wrapper scripts which will point the Java
programs to the libraries included.

Derrik Pates
dpates@kalifornia.com
dpates@acm.org