Re: usefullness of netbeui

Marty Leisner (leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 12:25:02 PDT

> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Marty Leisner wrote:
>
> > There's been discussion of how useful netbeui is.
>
> > I recently read a column in one of the free rags (PC Week?)
> > where the writer discussed having win95 machines
> > directly hooked up to the internet.
>
> > If that's the case, you don't want to export shares via tcp/ip,
> > because others could wreck havoc on your machines (since
> > Netbeui is non-routable, its fairly safe).
>
> > This sounds like the best use I've heard for netbeui (you
> > purposely want a non-routable protcol).
>
> Yes, but can you choose the protocol the shares are using? I
> don't think so. If the (Win95) server has both TCP/IP (which
> it must have, if it is 'hooked up to the Internet') and
> NetBEUI installed, the shares can be accessed both from a
> TCP/IP-only client and a NetBEUI-only client.
>
> Johan Myreen
> jem@iki.fi

Yes, you can "bind" server to only netbeui...

The article gave instructions to disable the server binding on tcp/ip.

I'm working from a position of not what I would do, but
what other people would do (I work for a vendor).

We have Netbeui streams stacks on printers we build which are incredibly
complicated. I'm considering doing some work to get netbeui into
linux to see how complicated it has to be...

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com