Re: usefullness of netbeui

John Summerfield (summer@os2.ami.com.au)
Thu, 21 May 1998 06:43:30 +0800 (WST)

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Johan Myréen wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Marty Leisner wrote:
>
> > There's been discussion of how useful netbeui is.
>
> > I recently read a column in one of the free rags (PC Week?)
> > where the writer discussed having win95 machines
> > directly hooked up to the internet.
>
> > If that's the case, you don't want to export shares via tcp/ip,
> > because others could wreck havoc on your machines (since
> > Netbeui is non-routable, its fairly safe).
>
> > This sounds like the best use I've heard for netbeui (you
> > purposely want a non-routable protcol).
>
> Yes, but can you choose the protocol the shares are using? I
> don't think so. If the (Win95) server has both TCP/IP (which
> it must have, if it is 'hooked up to the Internet') and
> NetBEUI installed, the shares can be accessed both from a
> TCP/IP-only client and a NetBEUI-only client.

NETBIOS (NetBUI = NETBIOS End User Interface) packets are distinct from
TCP/IP packets and can be transmitted on the same wire. What does NOT
happen with them is some machine picks them up and sends them down a
different piece of wire.

The only way that NETBIOS packets get out on the Internet is if the source
machine wraps the packets up in TCP/IP packets and sends them out. Then nd
only then they are subject to TCP/IP routing.

NETBIOS is the native protocol of LanServer and LanManager-based software.
Not unless specially selected is NETBIOS over TCP/IP used.

However, what the WINxx defaults are, I cannot say. OS/2 does not use
NETBIOS over TCP/IP unless the user chooses it (and as you'd expect, this
requires NETBIOS support first) and only talks to local subnets by
default.

Cheers
John Summerfield