Re: Everything you want to know about time (Was: Cyrix 6x86MX and Centaur C6 CPUs in 2.1.102)

Riley Williams (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Thu, 21 May 1998 08:20:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> No. Please show bogomips every time: we are not interested how fast
> cpu clock is, we are interested how fast it performs. And bogomips
> indicator already shown few performance leaks to me (like L1 cache
> off), which would be undetected by MHz rating as MHz do not depend on
> L1 setting.

Then PLEASE rename bogomips to elt. (empty loop test). I am SOOO sick of
having arguments over it.. Other then cache issues bogomips tells you
*NOTHING* of performance.

Unless you say that my Dual166MMX is 16.4 times faster then a p100.
(I wish it was).

> > Bogomips should be kept internally because there is kernel code that
> > still depends on it for accurate timing, I think. Reporting it in
> > /proc/cpuinfo is another issue, IMHO.
>
> Please keep it. If someone wants to know MHz, get that userland
> utility. But keep bogomips in kernel.

I just ask that it be renamed to avoid confusion. Linus removed big-phys
from the menuconfig. Just name bogomips something like elt (which is more
accurate) and be happy.