Re: idle may not sleep

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 21 May 1998 18:20:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Rick Harlton wrote:

> I'm wondering if any of you know what could be going on when Linux
> reports "idle may not sleep" a few times and then proceeds to lock up
> hard. I have not seen this problem and I suspect it may be hardware
> related.

It basically means that the idle task (just an infinite
loop which executes the CPU hlt() instruction) tries to
add itself to a wait queue.
This is weird because it doesn't contain any instruction
to do so...
It doesn't have to be hardware related, it could also
be that the kernel isn't loaded properly, because
there was a glitch when transferring or loading it.
Having said that, it probably is a hardware glitch.
You can usually solve it by setting the RAM timings
a tad less agressive or by fiddling with some other
random things :)
(PCI concurrency may or may not work properly when
the machine is very heavily stressed)

Rik.