Re: NE2000 PCI problems FIXED!

Thu, 21 May 1998 15:31:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Current 2.1.102 NE*0000 driver under SMP has this problem, causing
> > an Opps upon startup.
>
> It's not an SMP problem, it's a ne2000 driver problem.
>
> The stupid driver initializes the "dev->priv" field _after_ allocating the
> interrupt, and if you happen to get an interrupt at the wrong place, the
> interrupt routine will crash when it uses dev->priv.
>
> This can happen on UP as well as on SMP, the only reason it probably
> happens on SMP is probably just that we use a different interrupt
> controller and there may be a pending interrupt that would not have been
> there with the old XT-PIC. That does not make it less of a ne2000 bug (for
> example, imagine that the irq is shared with some other device, and that
> other device might be active at the same time..)
>
> The fix may be as simple as doing the ethdev_init(dev) before allocating
> the interrupt.
>
> In short, it's a crap driver,
>
> Linus

Is anybody going to fix it? Does Donald still work on these drivers?
If not, I could hack it. I just don't like submitting patches then
receiving replies like; "Dumb sh... it's already been fixed... look in
ftp.secret.place..."

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.101 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).