Re: Why all glibc2 programs are FPU programs

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
26 May 1998 07:46:00 -0700

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> Why not? It is never helpful to make flat statements without explaining
> your rationale.

We went through this several times before, this is why I didn't bother
giving an exhaustive answer.

The problem is that we decide, e.g., about the rounding mode by adding
-lieee to the link line. This makes the startup code use a different
value for the control word. But how would you do this if you don't
have the possibility to set the CW? Since nobody knows when the first
floating-point instruction is executed we cannot simply say "we make
it when necessary". Also, there is no way to find out whether a
certain program will use floating-point instructions at all.

The solution to this which I described several times before is to have
a system call which allows to tell the kernel which control word to
use once the process uses floating-point instructions. Then we can
delay constructing the FPU data structures.

-- Uli
---------------. drepper at gnu.org ,-. 1325 Chesapeake Terrace
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA
Cygnus Solutions `--' drepper at cygnus.com `------------------------