Re: New Cyrix patch for 2.0.33

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Tue, 26 May 1998 10:06:30 -0700

From: "Rafael R. Reilova" <rreilova@ececs.uc.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 21:46:31 -0500 (EST)

This won't work because the way you turn cpuid on 6x86L is by accessing
the same ports that are now shared by the BX chipset (0x22,0x23). Blindly
turning the cpuid on is what's currently causing the problem (I shouldn't
say blindly, there is the flags across division test, but that is not
sufficient anymore).

Just for the record, the use of I/O ports 0x22 and 0x23 to control chipset
features has been around for quite a while. The SiS 461 i486 VLB chipset and
its successors all used this pair of registers as well.

Leonard