Re: stuck on smp_invalidate_needed IPI wait (CPU#1)

Robert HYATT (hyatt@cis.uab.edu)
Thu, 28 May 1998 21:29:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Chris Atenasio wrote:

> Today I came home to find 2.1.103 usermode toasted and:
>
> May 26 15:29:27 chris kernel: stuck on smp_invalidate_needed IPI wait
> (CPU#1)
>
> in my logs. Sysrq still worked but thats about it.
>
> I am suspecting this came from running crafty, a chess program which
> saturates both cpus and every now and then thrashes the disk. Anyone ever
> seen this before/know the cause/know the solution? System stuff attached.
>
> Thanks in advance

while anything is possible, I am also running Crafty nearly 24 hours
a day, on my 4 procssor ALR using 2.1.103 and I've had no hangups of
any kind for weeks now, going all the way back to 2.1.97 or so...

keep me posted, as Crafty is very "taxing" on a multiprocessor from a
cpu-utlization perspective... plus *lots* of I/O when the tablebases
are getting probed in endgames...