Re: Update: Linux-2.0.34 "crashme" results

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 29 May 1998 11:10:51 +0200 (MET DST)

James Mastros wrote:

> > It seems, "crashme" triggers some problem within the AMD CPU, maybe
> > some illegal code halts or crashes the CPU or something like that.
> > (Doesn't this sound familiar? We all remember the problems AMD CPU's
> > had about a year ago!)

> Hmm... but the different systems crashed at very different points, whereas
> if all of them were crashing on some piricular instruction, you would expect
> the time of the crash to scale with the processor speed. (Even though we
> are using a psudo-random string, we are always initing with the same value,
> so we should get the same string, yes?)

It could be that there is a race in the CPU. A race is inherently very
sensitive to the environment. So a tenth of a degree difference in
ambient temperature could make the signal reach the right point in
time.....

Andreas, could you try underclocking (one of) your AMD CPUs?

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |