Re: patch for 2.1.103 n_tty.c

Jeanette Pauline Middelink (middelin@polyware.nl)
Sat, 30 May 1998 18:53:58 +0200

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 04:11:29PM -0400, Bill Hawes wrote:
> Jeanette Pauline Middelink wrote:
>
> > Hmm, the same happens for a pipe_read. In linux-2.0.x that one
> > also returned immediatly (due to the check on 0 in sys_read).
> > But an read of a pipe (0 bytes as count) still blocks...
> >
> > I'm nt sure what the proper semantics for the read call are.
> > Shouldn't it at least be the same for all read's? pipe,
> > tty, fs, network, unix?
>
> OK, I'll take a look at the pipe code as well. I would think the read()
> behavior should be consistent across all devices, but perhaps someone
> else will explain otherwise.

Maybe it would be a wise move to reinstall the check on count==0
in sys_read and remove them from all the specialized reads?

BTW: The pipe read no long blocks :)
I'm not able to check if CDE has problems, but maybe someone
else can check it?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Pauline Middelink

--
PGP Key fingerprint = DE 6B D0 D9 19 AD A7 A0  58 A3 06 9D B6 34 39 E2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelin