Re: Linux Kernel Compile

Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:05:02 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Wei Wu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed latest RedHat Linux on my new PC. The installation
> process was pretty straight forward.

Good, I'm in need of reasureance (I have a badly mastered CDR of 5.1 that
I can't get the installer to talk to ;).

> Now I need to add a SCSI device (tape drive) and am trying to re-compile
> the kernel. And I run into lots of problems and RedHat said it's not a
> installation problem so they won't support it. So I turn to this group
> for help.

Ok, you should be able to just load the tape module (called st), if you
have kerneld running (or kmod in later 2.1.x kernels) just trying to use
the tape should get it loaded. Throw a tape in and do a
"mt -f /dev/st0 status", and you should get some status info from it.

Alternitavly you can load the tape module by hand with a "modprobe st".

> First, I have trouble of loading kernel source code into my /usr/src
> directory. I mounted 2nd CDROM from Redhat which supposed to hold all
> source codes.
>
> I used rpm to install kernel-src.rpm. After I ran it, I don't see any
> source code under /usr/src/linux.

The kernel source rpm should be called kernel-source-2.0.34-0.6.i386.rpm,
which has the source at /usr/src/linux-2.0.34, if you just make a symlink
with "ln -s linux-2.0.34 linux" everything will be fine.

> Secondly, since I couldn't load kernel src code from CDROM (or the one I
> downloaded from Internet), I tar-ed and copied kernel src code from
> another Linux system (same hardware architecture, but newer version of
> kernel).

Fine any kernel version should be ok, tho devlopment ones may cause
slight problems with some utils (sais he running 2.1.103 ;).

> I then ran make config and answered questions as much as I
> can. Then I ran make boot and got the following error message:
>
> tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out CURRENT > zImage
> Root device is (3, 1)
> Boot sector 512 bytes.
> Setup is 4336 bytes.
> System is 602 kB
> System is too big
> make[1]: *** [zImage] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.32/arch/i386/boot'
> make: *** [boot] Error 2
>
> I don't what's wrong and stuck here.

Ok, it sais that the kernel when uncompressed is too big (it's got to
be loaded and decompressed in real mode into that annoying 640k memory
limit you thought you had escaped ;).

The fix is to either use modules to reduce the kernels size, or make a
bzImage instead, which allows the switch to protected mode to be done
earlier in the boot sequence.

If you run a "make bzImage" you will get a bzImage in linux/arch/i386/boot/
which the version of lilo you have sould be able to boot (RH5.0's version
does, so... ;).

> If somebody from the Net can shed some light, I really appreciate.

Hope that's illuminated things a bit ;).

> Thanks
>
> -Wei

Bryn
- --
PGP Pub key http://www.gytha.demon.co.uk/pubkey.asc ID: 1024/30AF2D69
On-line, adj.: FP: FC 4E 41 9E 64 C3 AB 28 A3 5A 57 F8 CC D9 A7 B8
The idea that a human being should always be accessible to a computer.