Re: Forwarded mail....

Billy Harvey (Billy.Harvey@thrillseeker.net)
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 10:47:10 -0500

Jauder,

What works well for me is to put the following in my procmail:

M=.Mail
L=$LOCKEXT
R=/usr/lib/mh/rcvstore

T=Trash
# :0 c:$M/$T/$L
# | $R +$T

# Check for duplicate messages and send them to the Trash
:0 Whc: .msgid.lock
| formail -D 65536 .msgid.cache
T=Trash
:0 a:$M/$T/$L
| $R +$T

# Trash stuff sent directly to linux lists instead of via vger
T=Trash
:0 :$M/$T/$L
* ^Sender: owner-linux-.*@vger\.rutgers\.edu
# * ! ^(((To|Cc):)|( )).*linux-.*@vger\.rutgers\.edu
* ! ^(((To|Cc):)|( )).*linux
| $R +$T

# Trash subscribe/unsubscribe messages
T=Trash
:0 :$M/$T/$L
* ^Subject: .*subscr
| $R +$T

# Trash non-delivery messages
T=Trash
:0 :$M/$T/$L
* ^Subject:.*non-delivery*
| $R +$T

This moves suspicious stuff into a 'Trash' folder, which I can then examine at
my leisure. It's fairly easy to scan all the subjects and delete the contents
of the folder in about 3 seconds, or read a specific email that was mistakenly
filed.

This works fairly well on the linux lists since spammers usually leave the To:
header blank.

Regards,

Billy Harvey