egcs and 2.0.XX (was: Re: 5000 emails later, compressed summary ;))

Jimmie Farmer (calvin@malchick.com)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 10:45:58 -0700 (PDT)

On 3 Jun 1998, Christer Weinigel wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> >General things:
> > 2.0.34pre16 is waiting Linus to move it to 2.0.34. Once that is
> >done I will be releasing 2.0.35pre1. The first things Im fixing there are
> >the Cyrix problems and hopefully finishing the Alpha merge
>
> Before you do this, isn't it time to put in something like this?
>
> if gcc -v 2>&1 | grep "gcc version 2\.7\.2" >/dev/null; then
> echo "Ok, youre using gcc 2.7.2.x"
> else
> echo "Dumb jerk, you're trying to compile a 2.0 kernel with"
> echo "a gcc other than 2.7.2.x"
> echo "DON'T"
> exit 1
> fi
>
> It should get rid om some of the complaints here on linux-kernel. :-)

I hate to be contrary, but I have had no problems compiling 2.0.33
here using egcs-1.0.3:

Linux version 2.0.33 (root@malchick) (gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515
(egcs-1.0.3 release)) #24 Thu May 28 01:54:31 PDT 1998

I get a LOT of warnings generated during the compile, but it
works. =-)

I haven't tried the pre2.0.34's yet, though... I was just
basically waiting on it to be released before trying it out. If something
like the above suggestion was added, it would greatly irritate me that I
would have to comment that out to get a kernel to compile here. =-\

Sincerely,
Jimmie Farmer

Jimmie Farmer | It is by the fortune of God that, in this country,
Techno Geek/Musician | we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom
calvin@malchick.com | of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.
http://www.malchick.com/ | -- Mark Twain