Re: Mounting cdr media freezes 2.1.104-1

Yaroslav Rosomakho (Srinivas.Narendula@libnet.com)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:24:14 -0400

Bj?rn Ola Smievoll wrote:

> Just tried to mount an unwritten cdr in mye read-only cdrom and it
> instantly froze my computer. I rebooted and tried once more with the
> same result. Got nada in my log files.
>
> I running a clean 2.1.104 pre-patch1. My cdrom is a Plextor 8plex
> connected to an adaptec 2940UW scsi card. On the same scsi chain I
> have two narrow conner 1 gig disks and one wide 2 gig quantum atlas I
> disk. I'm running a pretty updated rh 4.2 on a 262MHz i586mmx (oc'ed
> 166) with 64 mb ram.
>
> Can't even remember my last lockup (except the one yesterday when I
> tried to get an ide disk running on 2.1.103) so I was a bit surprised
> when my mouse pointer wouldn't move after trying to mount the cd. I've
> even got the troublesome 3c905 ethercard :o).
>
> If anyone wants it I'll provide more specific info about my config and
> hardware. Don't really know what you need so I won't include any now.

>From what I can tell so far, this is a bug in the mid level SCSI code or
the high level sr.c code introduced in 2.1.103.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.

NOTE: I'm just now starting to recover from the Linux-Expo. Most importantly, I'm just now getting around to answering a lot of my email. So, if your message has lain around un-answered for many days, I apologize.